Sunday, August 16, 2009

Call for Jury Duty

I've been on the telephone standby list starting from last Friday. Though I've wished not to be selected, I was unfortunately asked to report on Thursday, the last day I had to call and the other unselected standby jurors would be released… so unlucky… Therefore, I asked for a day off and went to the court room on Friday's morning. About 100 people had already showed up and later we had a little bit of orientation, in which we prepared our juror IDs and filled in juror questionnaires. I was being told that there would be panels and potential jurors would be interviewed by the lawyers to determine whether they'd be selected. If one wasn't selected, s/he would report back to the waiting room until the next panels. Technically, the process should end at five and further notice would be given whether we needed to come back on Monday. After that, the jurors for the first panel of the day were called and then my name was unfortunately on the list -_-b So approximately twenty people including me went upstairs to a room where we met two lawyers who gave us a quick briefing of the case. Nobody told me if I'd keep the details confidential but I just decide to skip it. It's like some kind of summary judgment in which the defendant's already admitted guilty and the responsibility of the jury was to decide the amount of compensation the plaintiff should get. Then, our names were randomly selected and six people were picked. Since the lawyers were in some kind of time limits and actually inspected by spies representatives sent by the judges…, they really did the interview really quick so after a while, the people other than the six lucky ones were told to go back to the waiting room, where I waited and did nothing for another two to three hours. (They were showing a movie but I paid no attention to that and chose to read and actually finished a book during that period…) Minutes before one o'clock, the scheduled lunch break, the staff came back with some letters and you know what! They're the certificates of services, which would prove one's presented for his/her jury duty and would excuse him/her from that particular duty for the next six years. This was of course the sole purpose for us to come there and we're all so eager to know who the lucky ones were. Then the truth was that the people who got called for the first panel were the ones who got the certificates and I was just so excited that I was on the list for the first time that day. It's worth to stay there four and half hours in exchange of relief of jury duty for the next six years. Yeah~

No comments: