Saturday, May 9, 2009

Allergy/(Swine?) Flu

My nose's been running for two weeks and I've thought it must be allergy since it's the allergy season. Therefore, I took my old medication to relieve my stuffed nose and hoped it'd get better. However, things began to get worse on Thursday as I was bothered by a sore throat and lost my voice a little bit. When I returned home, I didn't feel really well and had to go to bed immediately. I started to get hot, and I measured my temperature and it was 101 degrees. By that time, I realized I had flu, not allergy and yes! I had it during the swine flu outbreak. Anyway, I tried to get some rest but only to wake up four and five times during that night because of the unbearable heat I was suffering. The next day, I was very tired and didn't go to work. I tried to get a fresh start by getting a bath since all my clothes were wet. But after a while, I started to sweat and felt very chilly. I had to put some clothes on even though my body wasn't dry and got out of the bathroom. Later on, I regained some strength and scheduled an appointment with my family doctor. Actually, one of the few things that the staff of doctor's office asked was if you had been traveling lately…yes, to Mexico… In fact, my insurance was expired on the first day of May and won't be renewed later in June so I took some extra cash just in case if the transaction didn't go through well. After I got to the doctor's office, the staff asked me to wear a mask and waited in a room for the doctor. A nurse (of course with a mask) came in to measure my temperature and blood pressure. Then I had to wait for another 30 minutes for the doctor. Finally, the family doctor showed up (with a mask) and it's really the first time I've met him since I've been seeing different doctors due to scheduling issues. After some examination, he confirmed that I definitely had flu and when I asked him whether it's swine flu, he said maybe. He did give me the swine flu medication, Tamiflu, to deal with the worst case scenario and insisted that I needed to pay it out of my pocket (which could cost nearly 80 bucks) even if the insurance didn't cover it. After all, I left the office and went to a pharmacy nearby to get my prescriptions. Everything was smooth afterward and my supposed-to-be-expired insurance covered me everything so I didn't have to pay anything in the end. Hopefully, I could get well soon.

No comments: